Your First Visit
While every first visit is a little different, here is a general idea of what you can expect. After your insurance coverage has been confirmed and you are clear on costs, we can schedule your first visit. If you think you have allergies, we will ask that you abstain from all antihistamines for a full 5 days prior to your first appointment. This will allow us to get accurate results on any allergy skin testing that we may need to do.
(for a full list of antihistamines, click here)
On your first visit, which is typically 1 hour, we will usually do the following:
- Get a detailed history of your allergy, asthma, or skin rash symptoms
- Perform a focused physical exam
- Complete an allergy skin test, looking for reactions to various pollens, grasses, weeds, molds, dust mites, dogs, cats, feathers, and more. If you have food allergies, we will do a comprehensive food allergy skin test.
- Check your lung function if appropriate
- Order additional blood tests, imaging (Xray/CT scan) or consults if necessary
- Discuss a detailed plan of action to successfully manage your symptoms
- Answer any questions related to your diagnosis and treatment
- Send you home with prescriptions for medications that work (and samples if we have them)
We pride ourselves on taking the time to listen and do a thorough evaluation of every patient. It is our goal to give you the time and attention you deserve to discuss your medical history and get your questions answered. Call today so that you can start feeling better right away.